Friday, December 28, 2012

Loving Ourselves

The other day, as I was waiting for a movie to start, there was a promo for learning what it is to parent. While the antics this young man was pulling off were suppose to be amusing, I couldn't help but be distracted by his appearance. It was not hard to see he was tatooed over his entire body. Only a few covering his arms were visible, there were also a few up to his chin. Perhaps it's my age but I find such things very hard to look at, for it is, to me, a very distinct lack of love for oneself.
 
Most certainly there will be those who will disagree with me vehemently but I have some very strong doubts that God intended our bodies to be treated as canvases. There is an admonition in the Old Testament against tatooing but that isn't my main concerns. Many doctors would most probably assert it is a "safe" practice, there is always the point they are not easily removed. It is more than probable that the tatooee could grow tired of their "body art" and become very frustrated when they find it a permanent fixture.
 
One of the biggest hindrances to true self love is our inability to totally accept ourselves. In my case, during my formative years, I was constantly teased about my kinky, "brillo" like hair and my height. Plain fact of the matter was there was very little I could do about either. Oh sure, I could have sought to straightened my hair or have it "relaxed".  The I could have worn hiked up shoes but I was never into such things. We really never like things that make us different and we carry our appearance insecurities way into adulthood.
 
It wasn't until the Lord helped me to see myself as He saw me (as He had made me) that I came to full acceptance of who I am. I was released from all of the nagging "imperfections" I had accumulated during my early years; finally able to see myself in the light of His love. This is such a  freeing, peace filled view that can only come from Him.
 
So admonish all of you to totally seek after Him for He is not only the "author and finisher of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2), He is also the source of our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment